- How are reviewers describing this item?
live, many, good, recorded and great.
- Our engine has profiled the reviewer patterns and has determined that there is minimal deception involved.
- Our engine has determined that the review content quality is high and informative.
- Our engine has discovered that over 90% high quality reviews are present.
- This product had a total of 22 reviews as of our last analysis date on Oct 5 2016.
Arrived in perfect condition andris nelsons and boston symphony orchestra is surveying all the shostakovich symphonies written under stalin’s shadow, and while there are many recordings from which to choose, these (and the other recording of the symphonies 5, 8 and 9 in this dgg series) are exceptional
The recordings are from live performances but have none of the background noise that too often mars live recordings - the sonics are superb
Nelsons is sensitive to the anguish as well as to the vitriol in these great works and he draws from the boston symphony orchestra that velvet tone that has been missing under other boston conductors
An additional bonus is included in this disc – shostakovich’s brilliant passacaglia from his opera ‘lady macbeth of the mtsensk district’, a work new to many because of lack of performances by american opera houses and orchestras